A chargeback occurs when a transaction you've initially received payment for is later disputed by the cardholder or issuer and debited from you for the full or partial amount. Chargebacks are initiated by the credit card issuer and Groupon/Breadcrumb does not make any decisions regarding the outcome. Chargebacks can happen for many reasons, some of which are as follows.
- The card was charged the wrong amount.
- The transaction was made fraudulently using deceptive tactics.
- You didn't respond to a request for a copy of a transaction (retrieval) in time.
- Duplicate transactions (the cardholder was charged more than once.)
- The transaction was not unauthorized.
- The goods or services ordered were never received or have not been delivered in the expected condition.
Chargebacks and retrievals can cost your business time, money and energy, hence it is important to know what they are, how to respond to them, and how to protect your business from potential losses if they do happen.